Monday, October 19, 2009

Surprised...

I was surprised that the marriage conference opened up with so much focus on individual time with the Lord. I was thinking, "Umm marriage conference people. Tell us about marriage." However, it became very clear that marriage cannot and will not work unless each member of the union is where they should be in their relationship with the Lord. It seems very -duh- typing it out but is so often the last thing considered when their is a problem.

"Personal agendas are submitted to God's agenda as both spouses seek to be controlled by the Spirit of God rather than by their flesh. Neither partner clings to their 'rights,' rather, they both realize that they are under the authority of God."

Lately I have been struggling with the fact that medical school is Ross's dream and not mine. I do not want to move for residency. I do not want to go to dinners and interviews and meet these people who control where we will spend the next three years. Aha! No one controls the next three years except Christ. He already knows where we will be accepted and he is already bending our hearts toward this location. Little Rock, Columbia, Springfield, Ft. Smith---wherever it is, he knows and he will be there.

So, Goal #1 is to focus on God's agenda and not mine. Not doing so hot.

Another important point at the conference was to make sure that your marriage isn't child centered. I almost left when this was brought up. I know it is biblical, but I just didn't' care. Gasp. But, after my normal over-reacting, I understand that no one was saying children are to be neglected, just not placed over God or spouse. Big Goal #2 is to make sure Ross and I continue to take time for ourselves. We feel that we are doing a good job here and this is largely due to my the willingness of my parents to keep Amelia.

At the retreat, they set up the Not-So-Newlywed Game and Ross and I were selected to play. So fun. Oh, and we won. Obviously.

More on that later. Picture time now. Buzz got a fun dancing ghost from Meme and Pop.


She got a new toy box from Gammy and Gampy. I was under the impression that this was a Christmas present, but it just showed up this weekend. Hmmm.

Sweet bath time with Gammy.
A huge Halloween box of goodies from G and Pa. So much fun :)


She had a great weekend with Mom and Dad and Ross and I so enjoyed our time together :)

2 comments:

  1. We are so thankful the Lord has His hand on us all.
    Lucky little girl,had many Halloween goodies from her family.She sure loves those gifts.

    Meam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for a great conference! God is in control and aren't we all so glad,what a mess it would be if we were.
    Loved our Amelia claire time!:)

    ReplyDelete