Thursday, July 1, 2010

No Way!

Thanks for all the excitement! I got to hear the heartbeat Tuesday and it was a great moment. I am already a nervous wreck for two, but when am I not a nervous wreck? It makes me tickled that ya'll are tickled. Amelia was a surprise and so was this tooter bug, so that is just the way we do it around here. On cloud nine--a very tired cloud nine--but I'm up there, nonetheless.


On to my no way! moment. You know how much I love the zoo. I mean LOVE. Well Barbara and Darrell got Ross and I zoo passes for Mother's/Father's day and we went yesterday. Second time to the zoo here and can't wait for more. We round the corner to the giraffes (I was so looking forward to feeding them) and the feeding bridge is packed. I am getting a little steamed because no one is moving. Then, I see what has everyone stopped in their tracks. A giraffe is giving birth. There are two little hooves sticking out and I am losing my mind. We watch for a while and finish our loop. When we go back, there are two spindly legs sticking out and she is bracing herself for one heck of a contraction. Asher says, "This is awesome and gross. I have never seen a giraffe give birth." Me neither buddy. It probably took her hours to have the calf, so we didn't stay, but I am counting this as seeing a giraffe born. The website says that the little guy had a rough night and that we should stay tuned for updates. I'm on it.

Some pics and Asher quotes of the day...

Someone is so VERY happy to be at the zoo.



Asher was so concerned that Amelia was getting some sun on her and kept trying to shade her with his umbrella. He told me he didn't think her canopy was working that well.



Amelia wanted to get out and smell this huge flower and I said that I didn't know what kind it was. Asher said very confidentely, "Oh, it is definitely a daisy."


I asked Emily if we should get some CC (cotton candy). Asher yells, "I want some CC." I thought, surely he didn't understand that abbreviation. I asked him, "What is CC?" He said, "I don't know, but if you get some, I want it."


I was going to post a giraffe birthing pic, but on second thought, it looks a bit more graphic on this screen that it did on my camera screen. Just know it was cool :)


This lion had just been given a carcass and as we were pondering what it was, Asher said, "Oh, that is a rhino." He seriously cracked me up all day.



I heart the zoo. And enjoyable temperatures. It was such a nice day yesterday.

7 comments:

  1. Fun zoo time. Springfield zoo is neat !!!!
    That Asher gives you plenty of laughs,lol...
    Amelia loves a bit of cotton candy also.
    Go Asher,umbrella great idea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Fun that we get to be a part of your blogs now, but more fun that we just get to hang out with you! I loved that Amelia gets so excited when you tell her what animal is next and when she makes the noise for it!

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how excited she is in that stroller. :) hehe

    UD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome zoo adventure! I am so glad the weather has been nicer this week.Glad those two have fun together.Love the excited face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whooo hoooo baby Halsted #2!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. more Asher quotes please! he is seriously cracking me up. so is AC in her stroller --so pumped to be at the zoo. see you tomorrow. :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Amelia's excited face. Sooo Cute! She is getting sooo big. I can't believe how much she is growing. Glad to see you are feeling well enough to be out and about. That's great! Love ya'll!

    Jaimi

    ReplyDelete