Thursday, January 7, 2010

Encouragement

Thursday Night--
Last night, Amelia and I were crying. Her for unknown reasons, me, well, for unknown reasons. She had been feeling much better yesterday and the fits were fewer during the day, but then night hit and she just cried and cried. Since this was night four of restless nights and night four of little sleep, I just joined her. I texted my mom at midnight, and said, Encouragement, please. Amelia won't stop crying. And my mom, up at midnight, sent this: Remember all moms have been there.. You are doing a good job trying to comfort her through it all...Love you oodles and poodles.

So, I cried a little more, and then sucked it up. Amelia finally calmed down and went to sleep and slept really well from 2:00 on. She and I also took a great nap today. But, man, this has been a rough parenting week. A few of the nights were maybe the hardest so far, and I fell into a little pool of self-pity and comparison. I won't get into the conversations that I had with myself, but they involved my usual ridiculousness. Thankfully, a ride on Dad's shoulders always helps her mood.



I got more encouragement from Amy, and although this might not seem like encouragement in the traditional sense, it made me laugh for quite a while. Text: Owen just pooped in the bathtub and I thought of you. But I really do hope Amelia has a better night. :)

And my husband reminded me how much he loves me and that counts for a lot. Meme let me tell her all about it as she always does. Derek sent me a random email and my sister talked to me on the phone, which she does not like to do. So, I was reminded parenting is not a walk in the park. Not that I think it is going to be, but some days I definitely feel like I've got a handle on things. On the days that I don't, it is sure nice to be encouraged.

And, it is nice to have this husband who takes your daughter for shoulder rides.

My new year's resolutions are NOT to start flossing, to act calmer, or to stop drinking Dr. Pepper. But, I am preparing some. I don't know if any will be as fun as playing with my new niece or nephew. Nothing can describe the excitement of finding out your best friend is going to have a baby! My sister and Derek will be such insightful and fun parents. Amelia is beside herself to have a new best friend. I love the way that they "announced" their news to Ross and I, but I cannot find the picture because I had to hide it for so long. Still looking...

Friday Morning-
Amelia slept in until 8:30! She had a fabulous night and only woke once for a bottle and went right back to sleep. We are both feeling very refreshed this morning.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she is feeling better. It's no fun when they are sick and have no clue what's going on. She looks so cute riding on Ross' shoulders. Bentley refuses to ride on Paul's. He doesn't like to touch his prickly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of praying by your dad and I always goes on after those phone calls-so glad for a better night! It will be great having two to love and run around here-Coopie can't wait until they are both big enough to play with him too-oh they would have to be 10 -LOL Gammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the top photo of both having fun nerve wracking of course ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather! I feel for you....Jenner slept the night through in his crib from 2 months to 8 months and then he screamed every night from 8 months to 10 months. It was awful and scary but this too shall pass. I always blamed his teeth but who really knows! You're a great mom. Just keep doing what you're doing! She is very lucky to have you:)

    ReplyDelete