Monday, January 17, 2011

Guilt

* Steph, you might just want to scroll to the pictures at the end. This is loong.

The emotional roar that was Sunday.

I didn't get to go to church because Elise wouldn't nurse before I left. This meant she would be hungry while I was gone and we have not introduced a bottle yet. No big deal. But, it became one. I wanted to go to church. I needed to go to church. I wanted our whole family to go to church. The doctor has advised not getting Elise out and about until her two month shots due to this being a very "sickly" winter. Sigh. I understand, I do. But then the guilt began to flood in.

I felt guilty for just thinking of myself and what a long six weeks it will be just being at home with the girls.

I felt guilty for messing up Amelia's fun schedule of playdates and gym and storytime, etc. She will just have to be at home and not getting to do all the things she loves.

I felt guilty for even worrying about such a thing when there are people who would love to have two healthy and precious girls at home.

I felt guilty for leaving Amelia with Mom and Dad and guilty for not giving Elise the undivided attention Amelia had when she was born.

Yes, I realize how ridiculous this is as I type it out. Maybe that is why I type it all out...to look at it in black and white and know that it is okay to admit what I am feeling. To know that it is not okay to just wallow in the guilt. To know that I need to pray to clear my mind and focus on my blessings.

I don't give my husband enough credit. Yes, he tells dumb jokes that no one gets and yes his schedule annoys the fire out of me. But, he listens to me. He is sensitive. He lets me wail about missing church when I already had my dress on and makeup done and he acts like he truly understands why I am so upset. He looked at me as I sobbed that our schedule was so different now with a newborn and he quietly said, "In a few months, this different won't be different." And he's right of course. He told me what a good job I was doing and how Elise would soon see how lucky she was to have me for a mom. It would be hard to say that convincingly and lovingly to a woman with mascara running down her cheek and snot not far behind. But he did.

So, I have been here at home with our newest Little Bug and it has been fun. I have doted on her and held her too much and wondered what her personality will be like. I have missed her sister and told her how much fun the two of them will have together. It has been a great two days and time to myself well spent. I left the guilt and just lounged.

The funny thing is that my mom and Meme (the two smartest women in the world) both told me that it would be good for me to leave Amelia for a few days after Elise was born and just bond with Elise and rest when she rests. I told them, "NO WAY. I will NOT need or want to do that." Heh.

7 comments:

  1. These are the most darling pictures to date. I pray that coloring will stay,so like the Striggow clan.Yes, I know possibly a bit like Ross.LOL
    Yes,need to listen to the "smartest women in the world." All be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up mama, you've got it now. Also, we got Ing that hat in the first picture, glad it got it handed down to such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see you, Stephanie, Mary Beth & Garrett ALL TOGETHER with your children this summer. I cannot think of any better parents in the world than the four of you. All of us grandparents know how blessed we all are to have all of you. You have such a good foundation to build your family on - God & Love. Your daughters are beautiful in every way. And that husband of yours is a pretty smart fella, too :) He chose you didn't he???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind words from Pippo,and I agree with her I can't wait to get all the girls together. Of course I am glad Ross had the right words because I usually don't LOL! So glad you are home resting and we are enjoying this precious Bee to pieces. She is still sharing attention of course during the day with Miss Ingrid Catey Bug smiley pants and doing quite well with it.She is sleeping now after a trip to Maccy Dees tonight.Elise looks precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proud of you! Glad you've got your ducks in a row again. I love you Heather! Noone has EVER doubted what a great Mom you are!! You're the BEST just like the ones that came before you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually read it all! hahaha. You are doing great. It's fine to have a few days like that. I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally, I can leave a comment again! It was something stupid with my computer. I'm so excited!
    Heather, You are a wonderful mommy! Hang in there girly. Just know everyone struggles. It is what makes us human. You will learn and grow from it. Enjoy those precious little darlings. :o)

    Jaimi

    ReplyDelete