Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Month 19

And so, month nineteen begins today of Amelia's special little life. I love that God knew all along she would be mine, even when I began my nineteenth month of life. Crazy huh?

She has been a toot the last few days and although Mom specifically instructed me to NOT put anything negative about Amelia on here, I have to keep it real. (see where I get my bossiness?)

And apparently, it just keeps on giving because Amelia continually demands to wear her flip flops that are too small. I hide them and tell her they are gone and she cries and throws huge fits and lo and behold I get the darn things out. Finally I decided to just let her wear them until they cut her feet into pieces out of tightness. What does it matter? That worked until last night when she wanted to wear them to bed. I said NO. She said YES. Battle of the wills. I told her she could not sleep with her silkies if she wore them. She quickly took them off because those silkies are her babies. VICTORY MOM. (sidenote: you should see Ross's face when she starts one of these fits. foreign territory for him. me, not so much since i still throw fits. he just stares at her and then at me. his favorite line, "what is wrong with her?" oh honey bless your heart, she didn't get her way).

Even with some terrible two fits creeping in, we still had some fun yesterday. And surprisingly, my patience is holding pretty firm. I vented to Mom and that always helps. This morning Meme reminded me not to try to always prove my point and life will be much easier. Geez louise, I exist solely to prove my point--even to a baby :) They both give good advice and as the challenges of motherhood continue, I pray to make the best decisions that I can. For some reason, I thought my angel might not throw fits--or dare I say the t word...tantrums.

Thankfully, the little things are still lighting up Amelia's life in a big way. Example: $1 scarecrow from Wal-Mart. I told her we had to wait until Daddy got home to put him in the grass and she carried him around in anticipation.



The moment she had been waiting for arrived and she basically thought it was the best moment of her life. Lol.


Ahhh..I forgot all about the fits and just watched the excitement in her eyes. Until I noticed those darn flip flops in the photo just now. Grrrr. She woke up this morning and the FIRST words she said were, "Fip Fops?" She started clapping and ran to put them on. All was well until she realized that I didn't have on any flip flops. She started demanding I put some on and I said no. There was crying, a timeout, and a hug. I still didn't put my flip flops on. Picking your battles is hard for me. I was born to battle, ha.

But, I was also born to enjoy God's creation and to relish the small things in life. And even though my nature might try to rob me of those small moments, I was given this beautiful, blonde haired gift who won't let me forget. Nineteenth month--welcome, fits and all. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.


EDIT: Just a few minutes after posting this, I received an email that a friend from college, Jonny Neeley and his wife Holly, are in need of prayer. Their new baby boy Leeland is only a day old and has a severe heart condition and is facing several heart surgeries. Please pray for them during this scary and uncertain time.

6 comments:

  1. Precious Buzzy !!! She knows her Gammy always wears flip flops...important to her. I am so happy you can be home with Amelia for those hugs and small outbursts.
    Won't be long until you will have two hugging you.
    Happy 19 months AC..Love the scarecrow you and your Daddy put in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the scarecrow, so cute! She is getting so big. Bentley is attached to pair of shoes too, but they thankfully still fit. I would just take a pair of scissors to them, but I'm mean like that. Being a mom isn't all butterflies and roses, but the little moments make it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gammys think their granddaughters are perfect! I know flip flop story is a hoot! Cute scare crow-fall starts tomorrow! 19 months unbelievable Love you my sweet Amelia Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Seriously, what is with girls and shoes??!! We have a no shoes in our house rule. Try explaining that to a 16 month old who must have shoes on her feet at all times....she hasn't wanted to wear them to bed yet. Thanks for the heads up. She's a precious girl. I love the scare crow. We are so excited for some cooler weather. I'm glad fall is hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaawww this just cracks me up. I love it and love Amelia and I love most that you may have met your match. :) LOL
    That was such a proud look on Amelia's face when Ross put the scarecrow out!! :) Fun times!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes! fall decorations. i live for them. just waiting until october 1st to get out my halloween decor. hooray. love you guys. hopefully i will see you this weekend.

    steph

    ReplyDelete