Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What Can We Do?,

The past few years, I have wanted to get involved and help do something BIGGER for Christmas. But, I don't. Growing up, Mom always got an Angel Tree child and picked out toys and clothes for them and that made a big impact on me and I really want to instill that mentality in Amelia--to do for others. But, as of now, I don't. Part of me says, "Hey, we are living on loans. We can't give." Totally and completely not true. We already have the money taken out that we need and we can just spend less of it on gifts and more of it on those in need.

My family gives the BEST gifts. I do not want to take away from that gift giving excitement, but I do want to channel some energy into giving to others as well. Derek sent me this video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU&feature=player_embedded#.

It really got me thinking that THIS is the year that I will do something outside of myself. Nothing huge--but something. Operation Christmas Child is an organization that I have always wanted to get involved in and it is very simple.

1. Get a shoebox
2. Wrap it and fill it with some little toys
3. Take it to a drop center


Here is the website that lists drop centers near you and gives details.
https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/Pack_A_Shoe_Box/

If there is an organization that does something that you think is great, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I have done operation Christmas for the last 3 years through my moms church! Love it and it is so much fun to fill the boxes. You could also give me your boxes and my mom will drop them off at church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea. I am sure Amelia could help choose the toys already.
    Gammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job heather.
    I'm excited.

    derek

    ReplyDelete