Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Old School

I loved high school. Obviously the world of academia is fascinating to me. I love learning, but that isn't really what this post is dedicated to. I am lucky enough to still have fabulous friends from high school. Life happens. Staying in touch is hard. We are busy. Blah blah. Despite these things, my friends have still made efforts to see me and I to see them and that is something that I am really proud of. Being in Harrison last week was awesome because I got to see my friends and had some free time to chat with them and just be.

Ally Cat and I go way back. To the tune of 23 years. We sang songs together in Kindergarten, had our first male teacher in 5th grade, made up the BEST dances, discovered a love of crayola names, went through a wooden maze in Branson in 6th grade, and had a blast "skiing" at the lake when we were 16. We lived and breathed basketball and the locker room and Anderson's pizza. The smell of sweat and determination (and maybe her no shaving phase) led us to the State Tourney and I will never forget those times. She is the best Britney Spears and the life of the party--even if there isn't a party. College roomie and oh how we lived in HOMINY. I die when I remember "It looks good on me," and those pre-Jeff BOY magnet days haha. Love her.
Jaimi now has two kids and was a mom and a wife before me. I so admire her loving spirit and look up to the way that she loves her kids and is so emotionally present for them. But, I will never forget her tall basketball socks, "straightened" hair or her Space Jam mouse-like ways. I lovingly remember the painted Scary Hole and the hours of collages. And oh the boys. The days of T.J. and Keith are gone, but the hours we spent worrying about our relationships bring a smile to my face. How I love the cotton candy ice cream before the drive to church and the hours of makeup and pictures before the dances. She spent days and days at my house and only one time did we fight and I ripped her shirt. Ba ha ha. I laugh out loud at Pear-Rear and the fact that she spent so much time at our house that MY mom once grounded her. We were inseperable at times. Seriously--I loved high school.
Amy moved in from the dreaded rival school and in a very Heather-like fashion, I wanted nothing to do with her. But how I would have missed out. Amy is my level-headed, no worries, logical, math teacher compadre. She is positive and fun and made the best locker signs. I fondly remember the fight song and Trig class--and wonder how we didn't EVER get in trouble. Even when I was threatened to be "Jack-Slapped." She braided everyone's hair on the bus rides and married her high school sweetheart. In fact, when she was pregnant, I was boyfriend-less and totally still tagging around with her and her husband. Those were great times--great memories. I loved my first two years at Omaha--teaching along side her and watching her love for the students as she gave countless hours devoted to them. We tried very hard to duplicate for our kids the fabulous HS experience we had. She is a wonderful mom to two boys and never is too busy to see me when I am in town. High school was great, but our friendship is stronger now than ever.
But, my best friend of all wasn't even in my high school class. Nope, she did not belong to the Class of 99--EVEN THOUGH are boys were great and our girls were fine. However, there were many times when I never realized that. Steph was right there with me always--cheering at the games, helping with with what to wear, and loving me in my dramatic 'why did we break up' melt downs. In fact, she would probably consider these girls some of her closest friends too. Stephanie was there when everyone else went home. She was the best friend that even got to go on family vacations. Munchakikimo. Guf Shores Two Thousand. Figis Gifts. Baby sitting service. Swinging. Water Slides. I was beside myself to move three hours away from the ultimate best friend. But, the effort has doubled and we are closer than ever. She has since turned into an amazing aunt and continues to be my supportive best friend. Steph has never been my little sister, just my greatest companion.

Now, all high school friendships haven't survived. There are a couple that I would have bet money on that didn't stand the test of time. And you know what? That is okay. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I was who I was at the time and they were who they were. So what if everything didn't stay the same? However, I am grateful for the friendships that are still growing.

So, FBLA, track, basketball, FHA, Senior Scholars, Beta, Yearbook, and Student Council, here's to you. Dances, Mad Hatters, field trips, Mooner, Panther Den, Homecoming, and Pep Rallies, here's to you.

Ally, Jaimi, Amy Jo, and Steph, here's to you.

6 comments:

  1. What a great trip down memory lane. So fun to recall all those days.
    Now different times and fun continues.
    Meam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bawling now-so fun with those fun girls!Yes,and much fun with others too,but life goes on.I guess I will include Math is Great for Henry-hahaha! We wonder why you never got in trouble in there-ha!
    Luv ya girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very unexpected.
    a needed characteristic of a great writer; which you are. expectedly.

    great post. this was your time travel post.
    thanks for taking us along for the ride.

    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tear, but I first have to say I LOVE BASKETBALL and I would still play weekly if I could. And then AWWW! What a great post! I don't necessarily appreciate the Space Jam mouse-like ways, but it is what it is. And the "straightened" hair, if only I would have known I had curly hair....and been brave enough to wear it that way. I certainly wouldn't trade it for all those wonderfuly memories!! Those were some fun times and I'm so thankful I still have such wonderful friends!! I don't remember the grounding, but I certainly remember the "Lecture" that you dad was brought in on...YIKES! Thanks Pear Rear for keeping me in line. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! so true. most of the times mention with your friends are some of my best memories too. thanks for letting me tag-a-long with you and your buddies. you know i thought you were the absolute coolest. figis gifts is the best business there is!!!!!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just now reading this and ooooooooo how it makes me smile and shed a tear all the same.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and probably partly because I made it in- ha. You hit it right on the nose with us. I hope those memories never fade...

    Love you more than words my friend. Thank you.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete