Monday, August 15, 2011

Off To School

Today is the first day of school in my hometown. And, in lots of towns actually. SO glad I am not sending my baby to kindergarten yet. Praying for those moms and kids to have smooth days today, as well as my teacher friends. AND, praying my sister has a wonderful first day--what lucky first graders.

All of this has definitely got me thinking about Amelia's first day of MDO next week.

I debated and debated on sending Amelia to Mother's Day Out. I prayed about it and sought a lot of advice from my family. Ross and I agreed that it would be wonderful for her to go and we agreed on two days a week because Amelia thrives on consistency and we were afraid with only one day a week that she would get nervous again each school day. It is considered full day (930-230) and I know she will love it, but I am heartbroken and the first day isn't even here. This post is to convince myself that she is going to love it because I just want to call and say we decided to give up our spot.

She was ELATED to go to the mall and pick out her lunchbox and backpack. She ended up with a purple plaid design that was nothing like I thought she would pick. However, it was immediately her favorite.

We ate at the Food Court and she couldn't stop talking about her selection the rest of the night.
The parent letter said the backpack had to be a full sized backpack and not a smaller preschool sized one. Rip my heart out--a BIG backpack? Here she is modeling it for G and Pa.


She now has everything off her school supply list. As much as I'm anxious about the first day, I pray she still has this enormous amount of excitement. I love school and I always have. I pray that my girls have a deep appreciation for knowledge. Another reason that I am sending her is because she loves to play school and do workbook pages and have me give her "lessons." Her latest kick has been learning to cut paper. Here is Gammy working with her--look at that concentration.


She loves books and learning. Her favorite thing is to recognize letters when we are out places. Driving by Lowe's she loves to yell, "Look, an L and an O and .." well, you get the picture. Last Sunday she got promoted to a new classroom. Here she is outside of church showing off her goody bag. She loved Mrs. Debbie, her old teacher, and my heart sank when I realized it was promotion Sunday and I hadn't prepared her at all (or myself). But, it went smoothly and she liked Mrs. Allison a lot too. This morning she was very nervous to be going back to her new class and said that she would prefer if "the boys weren't so loud and wild." I got so tickled at that statement. We prayed that she would be brave and learn a great Bible Lesson in her new class. It went great again :)

Elise moved up to the crawling class and here she is with Daddy after church.
I just threw this in here because it is so darn cute.

Recap points: I am nervous for Amelia's first day. I don't want her to feel anxious and I want her to love her time learning and socializing and having some free time away from me. I'll miss her. I hope that she loves it so much and in a month I look back at this post and laugh at my neurotic self.


4 comments:

  1. That backback is as big as her. I'm sure she will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you look back and laugh as well because we are all teachers and want her to love it!Her choice is comical for a preschooler,but nice.She did so good with her first cutting lesson.They are both so presh! Those two days a week will be good for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the plaid choice. Very stylish and "in" Buzzo. Good job. I can't wait for her to start school because she will love it so much. Just like you! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am nurse and not teacher, I say,oh my!!!! So tiny,such a big back pack and such a long day. LOL She will love it after a week of adjustment. I know her sister will miss her those days..She always tries so hard to do all her work to please everyone. Praying this is a fun thing and not stressful.

    ReplyDelete