Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School

My tiny bumblebee went to Preschool today and she was verrrrrrry excited about it.

Largest backpack of all time, but the one she wanted. I just tear up looking at these. Here she is walking in.I was the ONLY parent that walked their child in out of the two year old class. Everyone else used the car lane. The workers go out and get the child out of the car and bring them inside. It is a huge convenience and makes for a smooth walk for everyone, but I just couldn't do it this morning and had asked for permission to walk her in. I think it made it harder on her in hindsight, but I would probably still do it for my own sake. Ridiculous, but true.

Anyway, she was still excited when we got there and only got a quivery lip once I asked to take her picture with her teacher. She wanted me to stay and so Elise and I immediately slipped out. NO TEARS!! In fact, the only time she cried all day was because she did not want to stay on her cot at naptime. She never napped or even shut her eyes and her teacher said, "We will just have to work on following the rules." Ooops :)
We normally nap at 1:30 at home and they nap at noon at school, so she genuinely wasn't tired. I think I will work on moving her naptime up at home to see if we can sync the schedules a bit. I am just so proud of her today. I think back to the nursery nightmare screaming fits we went through and I cannot believe she made it the full five hours just happy and having fun. In her words:

Music Class-- "Me played the egg shaker. Everyone wanted it, but me got it."
PE Class-- "We ran and ran and ran and then we would freeze. Watch Mom, like this."
Lunch-- (she didn't eat a single bite of her lunch, not even the dessert) "Me didn't have time to eat."
Classroom-- "EVERYONE got off their cot and just ran all around."
"My best friend was Maggie."
"Ms. Jen said 'Shhhh Amelia, no talking in the hall,' so me do me lips like this." (fish face)
"Me has work to do at home and let's look at it in the car." (while we were in the parking lot)

She asked to go to bed at five and was asleep by 7:25. This is very abnormal for our non-sleeper who usually is asleep by 9:45 or 10:00. Worn out for sure. I am thankful for the wonderful day for her and for all the well wishes and prayers for both of us.

I did much better than I thought I would. Obviously I was sad, but Elise kept me so busy that I didn't have much time to dwell. She's everywhere! Thanks to Emily for bringing Micah to meet us for some "I love and miss my big girl" talk.

So glad she's home with Mommy tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. waaaaa waaaaaa, this makes me so sad! i cant believe she's old enough to go to school!! and it makes me realize that DREW is like....right behind her! so unbelievable! glad she had a great day, and i'm glad you werent a total basket case, ha:) love you!

    oh yeah, i have a blog now....say whhhaaaaaaa?

    kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Amelia! And good job mommy!! Another big step for you all. Rejoice & be glad in it :) As Mary Beth said in her blog "remember the moments".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it normal for an aunt to be this obsessed with her niece's first day of school? It's all I thought about all day! (sorry kids in my class...) I loved the picture you sent me of the massive backpack and lunch box on the steps. Favorite picture of all time! I'm so so so happy she had a good day. Love the quotes. Great idea on posting them. Keep this up as a weekly blog post please! I'm so happy she loved school I could burst open. Yahoo Amelia Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these pigtails! :) They are the cutest. Her conversation about her day made me smile...favorite line was about lunch, how she just didn't have time to eat. So funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Amelia! And yay for you too for not losing it while she was away. Glad she had fun and loved reading about her day in her words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! she looked so happy! i still CARRY vayda in to school so don't worry. i think it means a lot to the child if you walk them in. good luck!

    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for my Bee of course she had no time to eat,I am sure she was visiting.LOL The hall line cracks me up!No talking will not be her strong suit and that is just fine, Gammy says!I am so glad she loved her first day and did sooo great! Proud of you too ,MOM!!!!Her little outfit looks so cute.Not to mention the big plaid back pack and matching lunch box!Hope she eats a bite Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could not have gone better for her..Love that she talks all the time,shows she is happy there.

    ReplyDelete