Friday, December 17, 2010

Traditions

Loving her advent calendar---and so are her parents.


I love traditions. I am sometimes guilty of saying, "Because that is how we always do it." Simply for the reason that whatever the event is, it is what makes you feel alive, and is deeply rooted in you, and thus, tradition carries on. However, new traditions can start, and those too will become, "the way we always do it." This time of year makes me so thankful for a family that cares enough to have traditions and deep family values.

We always open presents on Christmas Eve. Period. We have changed locations very few times, but the day stands. This year it is at my house due to my not being able to travel. Big Christmas Eve buffet feast and presents and more presents and games and more eating. I am excited--although it is weird because I still feel 16 and I own a house and people are coming to it for Christmas. This will probably be a one time deal and I am looking forward to it.

A few other traditions, that I am so excited to share with Amelia Claire and Elise Mae:

- advent calendar starting Dec 1-25
- stockings on Christmas morning with Santa and one big gift from Santa
- sugar cookie decorating
- Christmas Eve candlelight service (this one is hard with little ones, but will be reintroduced as it becomes easier)

Barbara has introduced us to a few new traditions that have been so fun as well. She does the 12 Days of Christmas and this year Amelia really gets it. You open a small gift each night for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. Amelia has opened two new paint sets (already painted both pictures and used all the paint), two new books, and a paper nativity set so far. She gets VERY excited each night and reminds us JUST ONE!! This is an incredibly fun tradition and there are gifts for Mom and Dad too :)
Sidenote: Amelia sat still as a mouse as I punched out all these million pieces and taped them. Then, she played with them for at least thirty minutes. Talking to Baby Jeeeeesus all the while. So sweet.
Also, this year G bought us The Elf on the Shelf and it has already proven to be loads of fun. You hide your elf--we named ours Ziggy- after the kids go to bed and they look for him in the morning. Then, he watches you all day and sees how good you are. She has raced out of bed each morning to find him--even feeling super sick.

I am sure that Ross and I will continue to add our own traditions for our family of four and that is what is fun--to mix them all together. Ahh warm and fuzzy how I love you. We went to look at a little drive through light set up right down from our house the other night and Amelia loved it. She got to get out of her seat and stand at the van window and kept telling us she was a "gig gurl." By the way, drive-throughs are the only way I will look at lights unless it is at least 45 degrees out.




Happy Friday everyone.

3 comments:

  1. G amazes me...
    She does all these 12 gifts for each of you(36) and I am sure she does them for Jessalyn also.Then buys Christmas gifts for all. Whewww...
    Looks like a Gammy advent calendar !! She had a great, "count down to Christmas" for Jared.She does neat stuff every year..
    Looking forward to Christmas Eve at your house and Christmas Day at my Jenns.We have so much to be thankful for this year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this tradition post. i live for traditions also and can't wait til ingrid "gets" them. i love our family!!! that paper nativity is awesome. i really love it and kinda want one. g are you listening? haha. just kidding. not really...love the advent. definitely a gammy advent. she find the COOLEST ones. can't wait to come to your house for christmas. it will be a blast. loveyou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRADITIONS,AHHH YES how wonderful they are! I love the elf on the shelf. I will get one for Ingrid next year and advent of course! LOL Those lights are beautiful! I had so much fun with my Buzzy Bee today! See you tomorrow Amelia Claire!

    ReplyDelete