Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My King and I

Ross surprised me this Valentine's Day with a motel stay and a musical. I use surprise loosely because he barely made it with the secret for a few hours. However, that is a quirk I love about him. By the time we got to Harrison (where Mom and Dad were keeping Amelia) I already knew what the surprise tickets were, where we were staying, what the play was, and where it was located. But, let me say that none of that took away the joy of the weekend. We so needed some time together and Saturday and Sunday went perfectly. One thing that I took out of our marriage retreat weekend was this quote, "The greatest gift you can give your children is the knowledge that their parents love each other and have fun together." Ross and I want to keep this a priority. I know that my parents did and I never doubted their love for each other (or the fun they were having) for a second.

When I don't post for a few days my writing get laborious, long, lengthy, la la la . I haven't even gotten to the musical. The King and I is a sweet story and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire play. I haven't really figured out if Ross loves musicals, but he always appreciates my love for them. Amazing acting and singing. In love. The curtain call brought me to tears and it was such a sweet surprise. We had a late night Steak N Shake treat and then back to our motel.
The next day we got up at TEN--praise the Lord-- and shopped and ate lunch and just enjoyed each others company. Then, back to our little Valentine for some hugs and kisses. Great weekend. Thank goodness for grandparents.

I have always loved Valentine's day. Even during school when I didn't have a sweetheart. Even during the four year drought where I was blaringly single and all my friends were married. There was something so hopeful about the day to me. I have always been lucky enough to be surrounded by love. My parents made sure that I always got a card or flower and Meme and Pop always gave me a hug and some candy. Steph always gave me something creative to let me know that I was forever her sister and best friend. And, as I became stronger in my faith, I knew the Lord's love was greater than all of that--constant and steadfast--and with me on Valentine's Day and always. Yes, it may be commercial. But, count me in. I am all about a day to make sure you spread the love.

This year I loved it more than ever and I hope I feel that with each year that passes. Amelia makes my heart melt, quite simply. And as boys come and go, I hope I make her feel as special as my mom has always made me feel.
Told ya, long. And, I'm not done.

Love is dinner with two best friends from a lifetime ago.

A Pa dancing with his granddaughter even when he is not the dancing type.
A mom and dad who still will move mountains to help you out because you are their little girl.

A new scarf and hat.
Love is my new baby niece to be.

Stopping to smell the roses with your Pop.
Love is a God who starts over with you every day. Thankfully.

Love is

6 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the LOVE photo of amelia's hands.
    Great shot!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for this blog was well worth it.
    Hope you feel this way all your life with Ross.
    Cute Amelia shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE picture with her hands is my new phone wallpaper. :)

    See you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love. loved every bit of this post. i especially love coming by to see you and amelia every day after work. love.

    steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. love friends who care. and send angels.

    this post is quite simply just Love-ly. everything about it.

    love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this whole week and sad it is almost over! Love my girls and glad you know it! So glad my precious Amelia has the best mom!
    Gammy

    ReplyDelete