Monday, June 21, 2010

Lots of Happy

I'm a day late, but.....

Happy Father's Day! I have a great dad and I always prayed that I would marry someone who would treat me the way my dad treats my mom AND would be a loving father to our children. For a while, it seemed like such a tall order that I was fearful the Lord would not provide. Silly of me. Because he did provide and Ross is a wonderful father to Amelia. He is caring and hands-on and talks in silly voices and changes a lot of diapers :) It makes me proud to see how quickly he adjusted to being her Daddy. Not gonna lie--I really wondered that first moment when he held her and let her head flop all around. :)


We had a fun Father's Day lunch and then headed back home to go to another resident event. Amelia and I were able to go to this one and it was...fun. I hesitate because no one in Ross's class has kids. Some are single and a few are very NEWlywed. So, we are just at a different stage than anyone in the group. I had to bring Amelia's toys over and watch her around all the stairs and breakable things and was honestly exhausted when we left. I didn't get to visit with anyone really and left feeling a little downtrodden. My theory on friendships with children is as follows. If you are true friends with someone( I am talking a deep, lasting friendship), when they have a child you will take an interest in that child because you so love the couple and naturally love whatever is theirs. Most of those friendships will not change. However, couples with no children are not going to generally seek out couples with children to befriend. It just makes no sense to do so. All of this to say--I had romanticized the idea of becoming BEST friends for life with some of Ross's classmates and it is safe to say that is probably not going to happen. However, I think they will be great people for him to work with. That was exhausting, huh?

I groveled to Amy after this cookout and she sent me love from Little Rock and I went to bed much less stressed. And thankfully for Ross, I stopped theorizing.

Another Happy-- Happy 16 Months Amelia Claire!


-Amelia is talking up a storm. Most of what she says is just a repeat of what others are saying and it is hilarious. Some of my favorites are caterpillar, more, thank you, uncle d, ally, and bug.

- She is still tiny, but has tons of energy. No weight or height stats because we haven't found a pediatrician here yet. The eating is...going. She eats in spurts. Today she ate not one single bite for lunch and cried until I got her out of her highchair. She just isn't hungry a lot of the time. Snacks are something she will never turn down though ha. Ritz, Goldfish, graham crackers, cereal, etc. She still prefers baby food to any table food.

- The sleeping situation has improved so drastically. I am beyond grateful for the fact that she will sleep in her Pack N Play during the night (crib just never worked for some reason) and for most naps. She sleeps better and so do I!

- Her personality is seemingly an equal blend of Ross and I. She is very contemplative and studies things carefully. When she first meets someone that is really trying to get to know her, she shies away. Those are very Ross. But, she is animated and a ham around people she knows and knows how to throw a fit when something doesn't go her way. If all attention is on her, then all is right in the world. If you look away or try to talk to someone else, umm no. That is her Mom.

- She understands most of what I say and I am amazed at how we communicate during the day. I can almost always figure out what she wants and it is becoming more and more fun to hang out together :)

Happy Fun Spot. While Dad was on vacation, Mom and Dad found this awesome place in Branson that is a mere three dollars and was so fun for Amelia. We met them there and Amelia enjoyed the activities, games, slide, and balls for a good two and a half hours. Thanks for the discovery Mom and Dad--super fun morning. Did I mention--three dollars????
Yep. Long winded tonight.

One more happy. Ingrid will be here in two weeks. I am so excited to meet her. Oh, and my sister looks like this almost 40 weeks pregnant. Yeah, amazing.

5 comments:

  1. Great father's day and fun spot post!!!So true about your dad and Ross.Amelia is that perfect mix.You write with such clarity.Some of those may have kids before three years is up and their views will change. Amelia and Stephanie's polka dots are great!
    Love all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did Amelia's hair get so long? So cute. We cannot wait to see you guys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, my friend....methinks you are sure about the way things "WILL BE" too quickly. You are right that anyone who will be your close fiends will also love and adore your child (that does not change even when your child is not longer tiny :)), but don't assume too soon that special person/persons won't be amongst your currently child-less classmates. Our best friends in seminary had children. We loved and adored those children even though we were yet childless. It will come! Pray that God shows you who needs your friendship in their life. Your friendship is a great thing..and someone there so needs that gift and your stories about being NEWly weds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excuse me? does amelia have pigtails at fun spot?? how could i have not seen this grand event? going up in pigtails is a big deal to her aunt steph. hahaha. and so is all that other stuff you talked about. loveyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amelia's hair is getting so long! I'm with steph...I love the pigtails!! I'm glad she is sleeping better for you all. Got any tiparoos for me? Like this post and love the pics of Amelia. I can't believe how big she is getting.
    Love ya lots!

    Jaimi

    ReplyDelete