Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Snow, Bass Pro, and a Caroling We Go


Ok, the last post landed us in Harrison for our Christmas cheer to begin, but let me back up a little with our fun Bass Pro trip.  They deck out the place in gorgeous Christmas decor and have free activities in the Kids Wonderland section.  It was our last chance to squeeze in a visit before we left town.  We had a little snow that morning, and the girls were determined to go out and "play" in it, as it was our first snow of the season.
 
  
 

But it wasn't going to deter our plans, and off we went to meet The Banks.  Liam is Amelia's best friend and she loves him to pieces. The boys had on their Santa suits and were too precious.  The Winter Animal Carousel is so fun, even though Elise still wouldn't ride on an animal.  I had to stand by Buzzy and hold Elise, haha.  The ice slide was a huge hit for everyone. And, of course, the animals at Bass Pro are always fun to look at.  I even scored some last minute Christmas gifts for the guys in my life:)




After we went home for a nap, we got ready to meet Ross and the hospital and sing Christmas Carols to the patients.  The girls were excited and got all fancied up.  Amelia saw Liam there and they never left each others side (like they hadn't seen each other in years).  As we waited for everyone to get there, the kids colored pictures and got jingle bell bracelets from Julie.




We started caroling and I just wasn't prepared for how emotional I got.  We only caroled in the halls, but the doors were open to the rooms where people weren't contagious and it broke my heart seeing them lying in their beds that close to Christmas.  Some were alone and managed a smile and a feeble wave.  Others had tons of family with them and they rushed to the door of the room and waved and told us thank you for singing.  I had to fight the tears from spilling over as we walked each hall and by the time we got to the Pediatric Wing, I was full on crying.  My mind wandered in and out of the chorus of Silent Night and I thought of our few scary days on that floor.  Then I immediately felt relief and God's favor that Elise was walking around with a hug smile and showing off for the nurses.  As we started the next song, I thought of the hospitals with those far sicker than Elise and even those far sicker than on the floor at Cox.  I felt for those moms and dads and sisters and brothers enduring the pain of having a family members' health in jeopardy.  And how that pain must be increased at Christmas.  And I remembered to count my blessings every single second.  Through the cries and fits and time-outs...COUNT THEM.  What a journey our caroling was for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment