Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Ain't Foolin'

The past few weeks while Amelia is at school, Elise and I have gone on some hikes. (Don't tell Buzz). It is fun to get some exercise and let Elise experience nature. I carry her the whole way in the backpack and when the trail is over she gets to run around a little. She loves watching the squirrels, turtles, birds, and whatever else we happen to see.

Two trips in a row we saw some deer. Elise was screaming, "DOG."
Her favorite thing seems to be getting in the dirt and she comes and hands me big clump-fulls and proudly exclaims, "DIRT." She also loves the leaves and sticks.


On this particular trip, we were moseying along and I saw something HUGE in the water. I immediately convinced myself it was an alligator. Yes, I'm serious. I have never walked so fast in my whole life to get past the water area. It seriously was an alligator. So, I'm calming down and walking along and a few minutes later, a HUGE black snake slithers across the path. At this point, I decide to run and Elise is bouncing furiously in the backpack and my phone goes flying out of my pocket. I debated not getting it, but I remembered I am addicted to FB and texting. I went back for it and the snake slithered off into the leaves. AHHHHHH. The rest of the hike was uneventful, thankfully, but I did have a little pee in my underpants.

I returned to the trail the next school day with my alligator and snake radar on high. But, we just saw some squirrels up in a tree...


and Elise found a cool rock on the trail.

Aunt Jen joined us for some fun on her day off and we were so excited to have some company.


I'm thankful for these days with Elise to really slow down and show her things and talk to her without (precious) interruptions. I really love, love living here and can't wait to hit up all our favorite outdoor Spring spots.

3 comments:

  1. Man, that was a good laugh. I'm right there with you on the snake thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great to have that area to see all the wild life and hike. Jen always loved the Nature Center. Elise is lucky little girl!!
    As for me, a bit too much nature for this person,snakes,alligators hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alligator-really??LOL LOL snakes no thank you! I love that pic of Jen and Elise Mae! So much fun to get to go outside with them and so glad she still fits in the back pack well for a good walk!

    ReplyDelete