Friday, June 5, 2009

Playing Catch Up

I am updating at a cute little deli-bakery in Harrison, just tucked away in the corner ready to write. This will be long I have a feeling...

First of all, this last week was so awesome with Steph taking care of Amelia again. She is such a great Aunt and it was so comforting to know that she was giving her special attention all day while I was at my LAST week of work. They had a great time and Stephanie took a ton of beautiful photos.


Told you they were beautiful. But, instead of just relishing in the freedom of summer, I have started feeling quite apprehensive about August. I know that I should just enjoy the summer, but I can't help but be wary of sending her somewhere where she is NOT the center of attention and she is NOT with family and where I can NOT keep an eye on the treatment she is receiving. I feel that these are all valid concerns. On top of that, precious girl wants to be rocked for every nap. This is sweet and cuddly to me, but might be annoying and inconvenient for daycare. I don't want them to put her in a crib and let her cry. And no, I don't care if there are "methods" that suggest that it is fine to do so. I don't even care if people I know use these "methods," I just don't feel that they are for me. In the coming weeks, I will work on getting her to lie down. Promise. For her sake and mine. However, every child is different and Miss Amelia might always prefer some snuggling to independence.

How about another picture? These blue eyes are hypnotizing.


Owen's mom and dad had to work really hard on Wednesday and we babysat him for a few hours after daycare (and Owen loves his daycare). He was such a gentleman and impressed Amelia with his easy-going attitude. We went for a stroll and Amelia let Owen use her stroller because she currently prefers the sling anyway.


Amelia was a gem (AGAIN) on the way from Little Rock to Harrison and I find myself welling up with pride at each feat of hers. Last night we had a cookout and it was decided that there is little better than a grilled hot dog. A charcoal grill is a must. Pop received some amazing news at the doctor and my mom is feeling much better.

God is good. Even when I doubt, sin, and fall. God is good. Especially when my baby smiles, coos, and plays. God is good. During trials, uncertainty, and questions.

God will be good when Amelia has to go to daycare. I will trust in him. I will also trust in my gut instincts and my mom. She is going to check out the daycare with me next week and I will get her opinion. I might not always take it, but I always need to know what she thinks. Always. And way more often than not....she's right!

Amelia loves her bib from Kaci and Shelb. It is so cozy and she just rubs her face on it. Bibs are becoming a must because she is already teething. No sign of any teeth, but her gums are hurting her. I had to give her Tylenol the other night poor girl. Okay, I'm done. Honestly I could go on and on, but I feel guilty using free internet when I only spent $1.05 here. Later.

9 comments:

  1. Loved staying with Buzzby. It was fun.
    She's a good girl. Good, long post. Love the long ones.
    Glad you're here for a few days. :)

    --Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for answered prayers and a precous grandbaby
    Yeah for Aunt Steph saving the day
    Yeah for the love of a baby and beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia looks so big sitting up. She is such a doll. The rocking thing is hard to break (for both baby and parents). We still do it and Deacon is 9 months. Thankfully his daycare will rock him too. I am thinking at some point we have to stop this, a boy can't be 5 and still be rocked by his mama...or can he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never left a comment, but I've been looking at your blog. This is Jana...Steph's friend from college. (and yours too! :)) I am totally with you on being anti 'cry it out'. It completely goes against my instinct as a mother, so why would I do it? A little baby is not trying to 'manipulate' you when they cry...they need you! Our son, Caleb, is 11 months old now, and will lay down awake and go to sleep without crying. We rocked him/stood up and bounced him to sleep for a long time, and he does great now without it. So keep doing what you are, and be encouraged that you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand how you feel about daycare. We always hear horror stories, but we never hear about the great ones. I have found that a lot of people are very passionate about not letting babies 'cry it out.' I used to be 100% against it, but I did use a revised version of it when Bentley was 8 months old. It's a long story, but I was at a breaking point and desperate. It was very hard and it is definately not right for every baby. I can't even say that I would do it again, even though it worked. Just keep doing what is right for your family and that is all that matters. I love seeing the pictures of her, and I hope I can see you guys this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comments from your friends are as good as the blog and pictures.
    Love being with you and Amelia for these past few days. Meam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to raising babies, and for some reason they think it's their responsibility to tell it to you no matter what. I just had to realize that everyone does things a little differently, and I know what's best for my baby. If you regret rocking her later on then so what, you enjoy it now so it's wonderful. We are going to be in AR in July for a baby shower for Kayla. You and Amelia better be there (I'll be sending out invitations... soon).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babies who know their needs are going to be met are found to be more secure and independent. You will NEVER regret rockng her. I couldn't agree more with Jana. If you do ever have a problem with her sleeping "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" is great book for that. I actually saw it in video form at the library the other day because who has time to read with a fussy baby? :) Your intuition is better than any book though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know much about "what is best" on the rocking and stuff; but you are doing a great job.
    I love her.

    Oh, and do you remember when she talked to me? :)

    ReplyDelete