Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sugar Cookies at Jen's

Every year, as far back as I can remember, we made sugar cookies at my Meme and Pop's. Always the same sprinkles and tablecloth and Meme wearing her red and green apron.  I always thought that apron was so cheerful and festive.  Then, schedules got busy, Steph and I got married, Steph and I had kids, and the tradition had to change a little.  A few years we made the cookies at Mom's house, and one year at my house in Ozark.  This year we did them at Jen's.  Whatever works into the schedule.  And, although flexibility and change really aren't my thing, I know in my heart it doesn't matter where we do them, as long as the tradition is carried on.  So, even though this was the inaugural year of just Steph and her girls, me and my girls, and Mom and her girls (haha) we had a blast.  The sprinkles and dough and concentration still evoked all that emotion in me of years past. Jen's dough tasted just like Memes and it was all prepared perfectly.  If I closed my eyes, we were at Meme's in her kitchen and I was 13.  Listening to Christmas music and making cookies.  I realize that traditions live on in your heart, no matter how they have to change to be carried out now.  And even if one year they can't be completed, the tradition NEVER goes away.  That is the awesome thing about my parents and grandparents working so hard to keep these going year after year; the memories remain.  And they always will!





This last pictures says it all- total happiness out of this fun day!!

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun day and Jennifer had everything perfect! Cookie tradition a messy,fun,and yummy one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They love to go to Aunt Jen's house,sugar cookies added bonus !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap of the same memories that live in my mind and heart!

    ReplyDelete