Thursday, October 13, 2011

Six Words

Six word legacy. Our preacher was reading from a book of memoirs that were six words total. Each person summed up what they hoped their legacy would be in just six words. It was a great sermon and really made me think why I do what I do. What's the reason behind my actions? The point of things?

I love words. In college and high school I always had to reign myself in when it came to being too wordy. And, it was always a challenge to put "too wordy" on a student's paper when I secretly loved all the adjectives. Try this. Give it a shot; it's a neat activity to incorporate with your quiet time. And speaking of quiet times--am I the only one who is embarrassed by how much time I squander away on worthlessness?? I decided to try this, but it morphed more into goals--things I'm constantly working on.

Release fear to God. Be free.
Smile more. Scold Less. Serve daily.
Love fiercely, treasure family, praise Him.
God wants first fruits; not leftovers.

One thing I never realized when I was younger is that our walk with the Lord is such a daily, hourly thing. Attitude checks, constant prayers, you name in. I'm reminded all the time it is never too early to start teaching Amelia and Elise the power of faith and love and prayer.

Perfect example: I'm rushing to try to get Amelia and Elise down for nap. Amelia calls out to me and says, "Mom, we forgot my prayers!" I quickly reply, "We only say our prayers at nighttime sweetie; get to sleep."

As I walk down the hall, I felt a very clear message given to me. "YOU CAN PRAY TO ME ANYTIME." What had I done? I ran back to Amelia's room and told her I made a mistake and that we can pray anytime we want. She said what was on her mind and curled up for nap.

Whew. Constant reminders. So thankful for grace as I continually slip up.

Here are a few pics of my peeps painting pumpkins. Amelia enjoyed herself immensely. Elise got to hold a paintbrush free of paint. I'm not that brave.I love my family of four.

3 comments:

  1. You have gotten my attention with this post-and at 12:20 a.m., up with Anna, I'd say that's a pretty great post! Love Amelia's pumpkin shirt and seeing Elise with her own paintbrush. :)
    p.s.-just tried to think of my own six words. can't. do. it. Can't we get 16 words instead? 6 is too short :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pumpkins and six word messages!Precious girls and one already taking in so much about prayer and the Bible from her Sunday school lessons.Good job going back. Six words-Love and praise God!Love family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My legacy in 6 words: God..Family...Love..Friends..Serve

    Halloween time,so much fun for the little ones..Love Lissy's hair in that picture,looks curly...Carving time will be here soon,Buzz will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete