Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sharing a Room: Update

Things are going well with the girls sharing a room.  I literally almost didn't buy this house because I was worried about them sharing a room and there was NO WAY I was going with the floor plan design to have them on a different level than us.  Heart attack.  Anyway, they have loved sharing a room.  LOVED.  I just can't believe how they have barely reacted at all to all the change that is going on.  So resilient those children of this neurotic mother.  I love having them both in there when I peek at them each night before I go to bed (and during the night).  When, by the way does that stop?  Almost each time I awake, I run in there to check on them.  Is there an age cut-off I wonder?

I am so relieved with the transition so far and sometimes I start to pat myself on the back.  Such an ugly part of being a human.  Wow, Heather, you have done so WONDERFUL making sure the girls are feeling at home and safe and that nothing has changed.  LOOK AT YOU knocking yourself out to make the move a successful one.  Gross, I know.  Thankfully, no sooner do I think these thoughts when I get a big tug in my heart that redirects my thoughts to the ONE who has made all of this happen.  The ONE who called us here to this town and this house and gave me the strength and energy to do anything with this move at all.

 Elise has done marvelously without being rocked to sleep anymore.  She is just lying down and going to sleep on her own.  No rocking or patting or laying with her.  Some nights there is some crying for me or not wanting to go to sleep, but she always works right through it and Amelia usually sits up and says something that gets her laughing.  I spy on them with my little video monitor.  I will probably use it until they move out?  Invasion of privacy? 

We are so loving this wonderful season of summer.  Sprinklers and popsicles and new friends and swimming and parks and walks and adventures of all kinds.  I'm much less strict about our schedule in the summer because we are having all kinds of fun when it is almost bedtime.  The only problem is that we then have to hurry through our laborious nighttime routine and when I skip a few things here or there, the girls (mainly Amelia) have an all out meltdown.  How can an awesome day fizzle into horror in those five minutes before tuck-ins??  Here are a few pictures of their new space.







It turned out EXACTLY like I had hoped and dreamed.  Bright and fun!  The girls love it and that is one major sigh of relief.  It and the sun porch are the only rooms that I am totally done with as of now, but I am working on the others. 

**Special thanks to my sister for making, like, practically everything in the room and to Kayla for painting it. 

3 comments:

  1. It is the best room ever! It is bright and cheery and comfortable just for two best buds!Love it and love that God has made you see the move was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute room! So glad they are doing well. My boys just started sharing a room about 6 weeks ago and I wish I could say it was going as well. We can't put them in there at the same time for bed or they just play. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this room! I love the wood floors and the bright colors! -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete