Friday, March 30, 2012

Ode to the Pacifier

This post might seem a little strange. And stranger still, is the controversy around pacifiers. That, I am not here to discuss. I knew I was a paci fan before I even had kids. Something that soothed a baby and stopped that baby from screaming? Sign me up.

Even though it is just a cheap piece of plastic, I think a baby with her paci is adorable. Amelia was such a tiny baby that her paci seemed GINORMOUS in her mouth, but she loved it from day one.

She wasn't a great sleeper, (okay, she was far less than stellar) but that paci bought me precious minutes more, and saved my ears on many a car ride. I thought it was precious to see her develop an attachment to something and made me happy that it brought her comfort. Around the age of one we limited her pacifier time to just at naps and nighttime.

Then she moved to her big girl bed and that was a scary transition for her with a lot of me sleeping on the floor by her bed and holding her hand and patting. Finally she slept in her room by herself and if she did wake up scared, her precious paci was there to comfort her and she was right back asleep. It has been the ONLY way I can get her to sleep in the car ever.
In the days leading up to her turning three, we discussed the Paci Fairy coming to take her pacifiers to the babies up at the hospital and leaving her a present. We felt this would work the best for her because she has a very giving heart and it would make sense that the pacifiers had to go somewhere. She was very excited, albeit a little hesitant to think about sleeping without her paci. I was choking back tears. Weirdo.

I was prepared for lots of crying- maybe even hours. But, wouldn't you know she laid down and went to sleep WITHOUT A PEEP. Typical Amelia, always shocking me. I sat out in the living room and cried tiny, happy tears. I was so proud of her and a little sad that she didn't have her pacifier anymore. Ross said, "She just seems...so...big."

She was elated to wake up and find her gifts from the Paci Fairy. The gum was the biggest hit. I always told her no gum until the pacifier was gone and she promptly chewed five pieces.

And then played with her new puzzles (and shared with sissy).

This was almost a month ago and she is still doing fabulously. Perhaps it is a bigger deal because Elise doesn't have a paci. Or maybe just because for me, everything is a big deal and I don't need an excuse to swell up with pride or tears. Either way, farewell sweet pacifiers--I will miss you. :)

4 comments:

  1. Bye bye paci...boo hoo...seems far too grown-up now. Love the way girly girl can surprise and amaze you.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it went well, kids have a way of surprising us like that. She looks so proud of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! Love that picture of her on the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our special first born granddaughter with no paci-she loves to surprise us!Great job Buzzy Bee!

    ReplyDelete