Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tough Conversations

I am devastated by the news of the school shooting in Connecticut, as is the rest of the world.  There is no explanation, no reasoning, and no investigating that will make it better or help the families heal.  Only the love and grace of God.  And in times like this, it seems that grace cannot fall fast or heavy enough to cover the graveness of the situation.  But, it does.  Somehow, just enough covers these families to allow them to put one foot in front of the other.  To address the nation in incredibly brave news conferences. To put out press releases of thankfulness for the nations' prayers.  I am so grateful that I do not have to tell my kids about this.  We don't have to have a conversation about being afraid of guns or going to school.  However, there are parents all over that are having to have those conversations.  I pray that they have the right words and that when I am faced with a tough topic in the future, that I can deliver a sense of peace to my children.

All those beautiful babies.  It makes me feel so sick.  I am tempted to go into my normal anxiety mode when something like this happens.  When something so monumental and tragic occurs, I want to retreat.  To fear.  To contemplate and analyze.  To question.  I want to obsess over it and cry and stay up late staring at my children.  However, today, I got a grip.  I prayed for the families when I thought of them, but I did not allow Satan to steal the joy of being at home with my girls.  As I looked at their beautiful faces today while we were painting, I simply smiled.  Smiled at our day in our jammies.  Smiled at the beauty of watercolor.  Lots of smiling.





Thankful for every brushstroke today.  Every hug and kiss.  So thankful.

1 comment: