Tuesday, August 19, 2014

'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten


'Twas the night before kindergarten and all through the town, not a creature was stirring except this momma in her gown.  (Okay, who am i kidding- not a creature was stirring but a mom in her husband's shirt and scrubs)
Amelia's backpack with GLITTER is hung with care,
and all I can do is sit here and stare.

My little blonde bundle is nestled all snug in her bed
while visions of crayons and recess dance in her head.
Ross thinks I’m crazy and asks if I should sleep,
but I just prefer to sit here and weep.
When in the back of my mind there arose such a clatter-
I tried to stop it, but it just didn’t matter.
Away to the delivery room my mind flew in a flash;
first word, first steps, first birthday- the memories all dash.

I ran to her room, the moon shining just right
and a lump caught my throat at the beautiful sight.
What to my wondering eye should appear?
A beautiful five year old anticipating an amazing school year.
She slept with almost a smile on her face.
Not tossing and turning- no halls did she pace.
I knew in that moment that I must follow her lead,
so I mustered my courage and called out things I don’t need.

Now doubt! Now tears!
Now fear! Now distrust!
On sadness! On regret!
Get out now, you must.

To the top of the porch!
to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away!
Dash away all!

I pulled up her covers, right to her chin,
and lightly kissed her forehead, pausing with a grin.
She’s always teaching me things, this precious one.
“Mom, it’s fine; I’ll tell you all about my day when it’s done.”

And then in a twinkling, I hear my phone
and I feel so relieved to not be alone.
Mama friends are saying they feel the same way and
my mom and sister have been sending encouragement all day.

Friends are calling and texting at rapid fire
and I think to myself this is not all that dire.
I’m surrounded by love and my girl is too.
She’s ready and for her- this I have to do.


Her eyes how they twinkle!  Her outfit laid out just so!
She can’t wait to get dressed up and have somewhere to go!
“New friends, Mom.  And recess and even music time!
A chart for losing teeth- I can’t wait to lose mine!
A big rug for stories and I get a colored square!
It will be so fun coming every day and sitting there.
And do you remember those bulletin boards?
I know I can read a few of those words!”
She was giddy as she could be
and it was plain for me to see.
Peaceful feelings in my heart and head
soon gave me to know that I had nothing to dread.
Then my husband came in the room and was done with his work.
He handed me some ice cream, which I grabbed with a jerk.
Since I was done crying and had straightened up,
he even threw in a dr pepper in my favorite cup

All of my nerves are not gone, and some will still rare their head,
but I’ll keep praying for my Buzzy as I lay down in bed.
And as I watch that sweet baby as she walks out of sight,
I'll yell "Happy Kindergarten my dear, I love you with all of my might."














2 comments:

  1. Prayers for our sweet girl on her first day and everyday!You have got this Amelia Claire and Heather so do you! Praying God calms the nerves today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has had a wonderful school week !!! Go buzzy !!!!!

    ReplyDelete